IRBC - Announcements
Changes to the Irish List, January 2004.
The second report of the Taxonomic Sub-Committee of the BOU Records Committee (TSC) has been published in Ibis (Sangster et al 2004). The report should be consulted for the full exposition of the TSC's decisions. The following recommendations included in the report are applicable to the Irish List and have been adopted by the IRBC.
- Studies indicate that Stilt Sandpiper Micropalama himantopus is better placed in the genus Calidris and becomes Calidris himantopus. Its position in the Irish List is moved to follow Curlew Sandpiper Calidris ferruginea.
- The correct spelling of the scientific name of Spotted Sandpiper is Actitis macularius.
- Studies have shown that all Skuas should be treated as a single genus Stercorarius. Great Skua becomes Stercorarius skua.
- Studies have shown there is no basis for seperating the genera Nyctea and Bubo. Consequently Snowy Owl Nyctea scandiaca becomes Bubo scandiacus.
- The correct spelling of the scientific name of the House Martin is Delichon urbicum
- The correct spelling of the scientific names of Stonechat taxa are Saxicola torquatus and S. t. maurus.
- The evolutionary relationships among the Sylvia warblers has been clarified and members of the genus should now be listed in the following order:
- Blackcap Sylvia atricapilla
- Garden Warbler Sylvia borin
- Barred Warbler Sylvia nisoria
- Lesser Whitethroat Sylvia curruca
- Whitethroat Sylvia communis
- Dartford Warbler Sylvia undata
- Subalpine Warbler Sylvia cantillans
- Sardinian Warbler Sylvia melanocephala
- Studies indicate that Corn Bunting is part of the group of Emberiza buntings and does not represent a separate lineage. On the basis of this evidence, Corn Bunting is placed in Emberiza and becomes Emberiza calandra. Its position in the Irish List does not change.
Additional recommendations in the report have no relevance to the Irish List at present although they may become applicable in the future. A PDF version of the latest Irish List may be downloaded here.
Sangster, G., Collinson, J.M., Knox, A.G., Parkin, D.T. & Svensson, L. 2004. Taxonomic recommendations for British birds: second report. Ibis 146: 153-157.
Back to Announcements